Thursday, March 16, 2017

It was a dark and stormy night. My second major one in a row riding my little sailboat 100 miles off of the California Coast. It took a whole lifetime and 3 years to prepare for this adventure, selling everything that didn't float, saying Aloha to a bunch of friends, and Adios to a few others who thought I was inconceivably crazy.

And here I am, so worn out and tired of being continually afraid that I'm contemplating just stepping off of the back of the boat. I just can't decide if I should do it buck-ass-naked or wearing my big orange gumby survival suit with my floating EPIRB on a tether.

If I do it the first way I just disappear and my empty boat may or may not be found as part of a bigger mystery.

If I do it the second way there will most likely be a Coast Guard helo plucking me out of the water within an hour, a great ride on angle blades, and about 30 minutes later I'll be enjoying warm tater-tots at their air-base. But that route is going to involve a bunch of explanations and paperwork.

1 comment:

Kai said...

I need to make a serious attempt at finishing writing my book 'Tribal Passages'.

I've got about 30-40 incredible short stories written. My cream of the crop best ones are here on this page. I'm having a tough time trying listening to the most literate people I know telling me to weave them together as a cohesive narrative.

This post is an attempt to start the story of 'Tribal Passages'.

I've been over a year in the planning stages of my next great ocean adventure. Once I pull the trigger at the right moment, quit my day job, and relocate to the best harbor to start this new crazy adventure, it'll take me a whole other year just to start to make it happen, well. To help make it happen well I'm also going to need to figure out a way to harness my passion for writing and storytelling to help make the next nearly impossible thing happen again.