Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Boxing up Desire



Fall update from Seattle: After ariving in Kona and working furiously to get Desire ready to meet my weather window, I discovered that NOAA had issued a proclimation that they had just figured out that they were still seeing conditions that last year's la ninia weather conditions were still in effect in the Pacific.

What that ment for me was that instead of a 35-40 day sail back to Seattle I would most likely encounter a 45-55 day journey. I spent the next few days thinking about my boat and my own capabilities and realized that it just didn't make sense to expose myself to that level of risk in terms of being able to carry enough provisions for such a journey as well as the long term effects of fatigue, sleep depravation and exposure to the unpredictable nature of ocean travel.

I then made one of the toughest discussions of my life. Given that I had expended lots of time and resources the previous year (as well as this year) to bringing Desire back to my home waters, and that I was committed to spending the next few years trying to make a success of my new company, it would be next to impossible to mount another effort of this sort any time soon.

I realized that instead of looking at this as a rescue mission I needed to think of it as a salvage mission. I built a sturdy crate and boxed up all of the books, momentous, tools and gear that I wanted to keep from Desire and arranged with an oceanic freight company to ship it back to Seattle. I sorted through the stuff that was left and gave away a bunch of it to friends in Kona who could use it and I organized the stuff that should stay with Desire. I spent the rest of my time sprucing Desire up as best I could and then flew home to Seattle, entrusting Desire to Craig's List and friends who would look after her until she was sold.

The crate of stuff (all 687 pounds) arrived safely here in Seattle a few weeks ago. I've had a few looky loo's (keel kickers) interested in Desire but no serious takers yet. Meanwhile I'm charging ahead on several fronts to grow my budding company out of the dirt.

No comments: