Monday, July 19, 2010




This is Desire's current Nav. Station which is soon to be redone with her new brain and AIS/Navigation system, SSB radio and Radar.

A note about the Emergency Stop Button and God's remote =>

ESB: Working much like Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers, Desire's Emergency Stop Button, when activated in the event of a crisis, will propel me through time and space so that I wake up safe and sound in my bed in Seattle as if the current situation is all a dream.

GR: When I first got to Hawaii and was sailing back and forth I needed to hitchhike around whatever island I was exploring. As I stood by the highway in Kauai one day with my thumb extended I made myself a promise that when I had a car I would pick up anyone extending their thumb alongside the road who wasn't covered in cow manure or cat piss.

A year or so later when I was working on the Big Island and I picked up a dude in South Kona who looked like Jesus. As he rummaged around in his knapsack for some local agricultural product he wished to share with me, he set a white TV remote on my dash. Later when he was getting out of my work van I noticed the remote on the dash. As I was handing it to him he said, "No, you keep it, I swiped it off of my dad's coffee table and don't need it."

So I ended up with God's remote control! I've never needed to use it yet but if I do, watch out! I would never use it for evil purposes, but I can go forward and reverse, change channels or pause time/space/reality! Until God wants it back of course...

1 comment:

Kai said...

The prize for spotting the most unusual item on my nav. station (besides the ESB and GR) goes to Anne for inquiring about why there's a picture of the Monalisa in a kind of mini shrine. Honorable mention goes to James for spotting the sponges which I use to catch small rain drips from deck fittings which haven't been properly sealed yet.

As you may have seen in 'Castaway' with Tom Hanks, people in long term (or even short term) solo situations tend to name and personalize things around them. Who hasn't given a car or something in their life a nickname? Boats naturally have names.

Mona in the nickname I have given one of the most important pieces of equipment on my boat, my Monitor Servopendulum Self Steering Windvane. (see: http://tinyurl.com/2fgn58d )

She has her own sets of quirks and nuances that I need to constantly monitor as she steers my boat offshore 24/7 with only slight adjustments. The one time she failed me is when I sailed from Hilo and Honolulu. That turned into a sleepless 54 hour marathon. On the second night sleep depravation hallucinations had me seeing the pope was waterskiing behind my boat!